• Advertisement
Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Feeding wheat bran to chickens?

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

Feeding wheat bran to chickens?

Postby griffin » 11 Jan 2010, 17:35

We recently bought a big bag (20kg) of wheat bran to make a hot bran mash for our horses in this cold weather and I was wondering if anyone feeds this to their chickens?, or if for some reason it is to be avoided. They have been readily scoffing hot porridge made from an old packet of ready brek ( 60g flakes to 300ml hot water)and really enjoy it in these icy conditions.
Funnily enough they are laying more eggs now than before Christmas, but then again it is only about 6 eggs/day from 15 birds.
So what hot treats do your chooks get?
griffin

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Feeding wheat bran to chickens?

Postby CP » 11 Jan 2010, 17:40

In the old days bran was mixed with kitchen leftovers & fed to the chickens so I can't see a problem with it. Unless anyone else knows different? :)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby crazypianolady » 11 Jan 2010, 17:40

Oats soaked in hot water. Left over pasta/rice/potatoes. Not all at once, of course! :lol:

And we've a part sack of bran OH was going to use as a slug deterrant.......I wonder if he'd notice if it went missing............ ;) :lol:
Last edited by crazypianolady on 11 Jan 2010, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby Phill » 11 Jan 2010, 17:43

when my grandparents lived in south america they kept chickens for eggs,table and showing I believe wheat bran was all they fed their chickens along with a few handfulls of mixed corn and none of them ever fell ill and were very healthy chickens.

bran its probably almost the equivelent of feeding just porrige, since giving the extra porrige to my chickens my young hen has started laying!
Phill

Postby MrsMopp » 12 Jan 2010, 11:06

My Nan always used to feed cold/warm bran mash and leftovers/boiled peelings to her laying birds. I can still remember the smell of the huge galvanised bran tub in the shed. My mother told me recently she still has the wooden scoop we used to use, so that might be coming my way as a nice momento.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby tweedy » 12 Jan 2010, 11:51

Mine get warm porridge on cold mornings they go mad for it, probably saved 1 or 2 from from the cold. Wheat bran is great though.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby griffin » 12 Jan 2010, 12:05

Thanks for confirming it is ok to feed.
I did notice on another forum someone made a comment that it is against DEFRA guidelines to prepare food for chickens in a domestic kitchen, so making them some porridge in the kitchen is actually illegal! The issue being the potential for cross contamination, from uncooked meat to what you prepare for the chickens! Rediculous I know - but it just goes to show how stringent ( and petty?) some regulations are. I think most people are sensible enough to know potential risks involved and act responsibly though.
griffin

Postby jd67stella » 16 Jan 2010, 11:46

mine get spagetti, porrige, rice, and layers pellets. bought them in september and from 12 hens ime getting 5-6 a day. they started on friday 13th oct and havnt stopped since.
jd67stella

• Advertisement

Return to General & Misc