• Advertisement

Problem with novital 16 incubator

Moderator: Moderators

Problem with novital 16 incubator

Postby flipafeet » 19 Jan 2011, 19:55

hi. recently purchased a novital 16 incubator off ebay but now i have put some eggs in i am having problems with the eggs rolling around when i take the lid off and, as a result, cracking. anyone had a similar problem or does anyone know a solution? thanks very much.
flipafeet

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Problem with novital 16 incubator

Postby xxchicketyboooxx » 19 Jan 2011, 20:17

Is there no dividers??? they should nt be rolling around xx
xxchicketyboooxx

Postby flipafeet » 20 Jan 2011, 09:29

no it doesn't have a divider. i didn't realise it was meant to. i knew they shouldn't roll. i don't know what to do
flipafeet

Postby CP » 20 Jan 2011, 09:38

From the pictures on their website it doesn't appear that there should be any dividers in an incubator that small. How many eggs have you got in there?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby jojosarah » 20 Jan 2011, 09:57

Make sure it is on a flat surface and that you have an area to put the lid so you don't knock the base when you take it off to turn the eggs. I used to have a smaller version of this incubator so i know what you are talking about. Make sure all the eggs are reasonably close together so that if they do have a roll, at least they don't get up a speed and bash into each other.
jojosarah

Postby flipafeet » 20 Jan 2011, 10:33

i have about 12 Japanese quail eggs in it so there's loads of room to roll. i have the base on a stable surface and i take the lid off carefully but it seems impossible to stop them rolling. it seems a bad design that its not anti-slip. i am reluctant to put anything on the plastic grid to stop them rolling as the water reserve is underneath the grid so i am worried about it effecting the moisture levels.
flipafeet

Postby pb632 » 20 Jan 2011, 18:19

This inccy is a waste of time really, I understand what you mean, lean the eggs against eachother, it gets worse the more mature the eggs become as the chicks/ducks or what ever are moving and i swear they roll themsleves about. Only thing i can warn you is, make sure any eggs in the center directly underneath the bulb ensure you move them out and change them as i had one particular duck egg pip early, and it eventually died. Recommendation would be to get a diff inccy, which i know isnt always possible, I find my novital handy as an indivindual brooder for sick ducklings! And no, these inccys dont have dividers! Egh! Bit of a rip off really!
pb632

Postby arsenal800 » 08 Jun 2011, 08:08

Hi guys,
I have this incubator and have hatched chickens before from it. The design isn't perfect and i agree with the egg rolling. It is a nightmare. My problem is raising the humidity on it. I have upped the thermostat but the humudity level seems to stay at around 60%. When the chicks hatched they had problems coming out of the shells and I had to intervene which can end up fatal. Anyone any ideas on how to raise the humudity?
Graham
arsenal800

Postby CP » 08 Jun 2011, 09:30

Upping the thermostat will only increase the temperature, which you don't want to do.

To increase humidity you need to increase the surface area of water so if there's another tank then fill it, or place a wet sponge on the bottom. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby arsenal800 » 08 Jun 2011, 09:54

Ok thank you
arsenal800

• Advertisement

Return to Eggs and Growers