• Advertisement

Advice on 6 week old chicks

Moderator: Moderators

Advice on 6 week old chicks

Postby rachelet » 12 May 2011, 09:33

Hi,

I am after a bit of advice on my 6 week old Cotentine chicks. I have been putting them outside during the day for the last two weeks and bringing them back inside for the night. I was just wondering if they would be ok outside all the time now. They have a covered run and house and seem quite happy outside. What do you think?

Thanks,
Rachel
rachelet

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Advice on 6 week old chicks

Postby tweedy » 12 May 2011, 09:38

They should be ok this time of year, keep them out of draughts if you can. If you got quite a few then they will huddle at night.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rachelet » 12 May 2011, 09:48

Thanks Tweedy. Unfortunately I only have three chicks left as the other chicks got a mysterious illness and died quite early on (I think it was the rabbit cage I was keeping them in, and have since made new brooder boxes for the more recent chicks). The run is in quite a sheltered part of the garden but I might try and move it to somewhere more sheltered just to be on the safe side. I want to make sure they will be fine as I don't have any other Cotentine chickens and want to keep these three safe :grin:
rachelet

Postby rachelet » 13 May 2011, 09:42

Well the chicks stayed out last night and they were absolutely fine this morning. I had to get up early this morning just to check on them and make sure they were ok :grin:
rachelet

Postby CP » 13 May 2011, 09:54

That's good. :grin: They're more resiliant than you think but you have to watch out for draughts & them getting too wet if it rains as they're still quite young. ;)

We've got 4 week olds that spend some of the day in the garden but they have access to a source of heat if they need it. They will have to be out full time in a week or 2 as we have more hatching then!
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby rachelet » 13 May 2011, 10:21

Thats the only reason mine have had to go out at six weeks as I have had three more lots hatch since they were born and I only have space the downstairs bathroom for three lots of chicks!! I didn't want to mix the chick ages just yet either as I won't have a clue how old each of them are. I think I might have to build a few more runs (or get the hubby to build them!) as I want to get the next lot of chicks used to going outside soon.

If it is going to rain, I have got a few barns that I could move their run into, so that might be a plan!
rachelet

• Advertisement

Return to Eggs and Growers