• Advertisement

Can chickens and ducks eat nuts?

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Nico0laGouldsmith » 04 Jun 2011, 15:05

it's just I was thinking of putting bird feeders up like we had before we got the chickens and ducks and fill them with seeds and nuts but I didn't know if they were compatible with the chickens and ducks? :/
Nico0laGouldsmith
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Can chickens and ducks eat nuts?

Postby Captain Carrot » 04 Jun 2011, 19:16

no problems with unsalted peanuts. Mine get them as treats, bashed a little first so they're not too big.

The problem would be if the chickens and ducks are eating food that's been spilled by wild birds. There are chances of the chickens and ducks catching illnesses from the wild birds.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Hen-Gen » 04 Jun 2011, 19:55

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Not if you keep your trousers on! :?
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 83 posts

Postby Nico0laGouldsmith » 04 Jun 2011, 21:38

Hen-Gen wrote:Can chickens and ducks eat nuts?

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Not if you keep your trousers on! :?

ahahaahha =D>

Captain Carrot wrote:no problems with unsalted peanuts. Mine get them as treats, bashed a little first so they're not too big.

The problem would be if the chickens and ducks are eating food that's been spilled by wild birds. There are chances of the chickens and ducks catching illnesses from the wild birds.

they have free range of the whole garden (it's quite big) anyway apart from when they're securely locked away at night so I regularly worm them and I put in another thread recently that one of the chickens has scaly leg mite most likely from the wild birds which I'm currently treating her for. . .I don't really want to put them in a run because that would mean putting them in a smaller environment than they currently have and I would have issues with finding a way of fitting in the swimming area the ducks have into a run too. . . i was just hoping that by putting up bird feeders it may help to stop the wild birds eating the chicken food! So I think i'll just put some crushed unsalted peanuts and sunflower seeds in it because if any drop on the ground the chickens will be okay with them then :) . . . I do have somewhere in the garden that I can put them where the chickens can't actually get to. . .the ducks do occasionally get in there (because they're call ducks and small) but they tend to get scared and come back out because it's all old wood piled up behind a fence and it seems to intimidate them hahaha

thanks for your help
Nico0laGouldsmith
Chick
Chick

Postby chuck1 » 05 Jun 2011, 00:53

Peanuts are fine. Wild bird seed is OK for them too. Wild birds are around all the time and they and the poultry need to co-exist.
chuck1
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 64 posts

Postby Henwife » 05 Jun 2011, 07:30

I quite often scatter a small amount of wild bird seed in the brooders because the chicks love scratching about for it. I work on the theory that if wild birds can eat something, it's unlikely to harm chicken. Anyway, if the chicken clear up spilt wild bird food, rats won't find it.
Guinea fowl, Speckled Sussex bantams
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 05 Jun 2011, 08:27

My chooks sometimes get a treat of a handful of wild bird food - the bird feeders are in the garden, away from the chooks, but whenever I fill the feeders up chooks appear from all corners of the paddock and stand the other side of the fence with looks of expectation on their faces :lol: .
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby CP » 05 Jun 2011, 10:33

Mine too love wild bird food & react the same as yours Chris if they're out in the garden. Never tried them with peanuts but I suppose they must get a few crumbs that fall down when the wild birds eat them.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby tabsjelu » 05 Jun 2011, 14:30

Im sure jungle fowl would of eaten nuts in the wild. I have been doing abit of research into peanuts and chickens recently as wanting to make and maybe start selling my own feed. There seems to be alot of studies pointing towards peanuts making eggs bigger and heavier, not sure yet how this effects the over all health of the hen but I guess alot of people selling eggs would be happy about that.
tabsjelu

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Nico0laGouldsmith » 05 Jun 2011, 17:42

thanks for all the replies :D

I imagine nuts would be quite fatty for the chickens but it's healthy fat. . . I imagine giving them a lot of corn and peanuts if they had recently been poorly would help build them up again too :)

I'm glad they can eat the nuts and seeds I'll be putting some feeders up then :D
Nico0laGouldsmith
Chick
Chick

Postby Captain Carrot » 05 Jun 2011, 20:54

tabsjelu wrote:Im sure jungle fowl would of eaten nuts in the wild. I have been doing abit of research into peanuts and chickens recently as wanting to make and maybe start selling my own feed. There seems to be alot of studies pointing towards peanuts making eggs bigger and heavier, not sure yet how this effects the over all health of the hen but I guess alot of people selling eggs would be happy about that.

if it's true that peanuts make hen eggs bigger, than all the poor birds kept on egg farms and batteries would be getting peanuts in their feed already.

I also feed the wild birds through winter, from October until March/April. It makes no difference to them eating the chicken food too. The Jays won't come to the feeders anymore preferring the chicken food instead.

My chickens and ducks also get a handful or three of wild food a day during winter. I mix in oats and corm too, They love eating it and it helps to keep them warm during the really cold winter days (minus 20°C).

One thing to watch out for with the wild food, is that it contains no green, pink or orange lumps. This is dry dog biscuit, and while it's full of proteins it swells in the crop and isn't that great for the wild birds or chickens.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Nico0laGouldsmith » 05 Jun 2011, 21:37

Captain Carrot wrote:
tabsjelu wrote:Im sure jungle fowl would of eaten nuts in the wild. I have been doing abit of research into peanuts and chickens recently as wanting to make and maybe start selling my own feed. There seems to be alot of studies pointing towards peanuts making eggs bigger and heavier, not sure yet how this effects the over all health of the hen but I guess alot of people selling eggs would be happy about that.

if it's true that peanuts make hen eggs bigger, than all the poor birds kept on egg farms and batteries would be getting peanuts in their feed already.

I also feed the wild birds through winter, from October until March/April. It makes no difference to them eating the chicken food too. The Jays won't come to the feeders anymore preferring the chicken food instead.

My chickens and ducks also get a handful or three of wild food a day during winter. I mix in oats and corm too, They love eating it and it helps to keep them warm during the really cold winter days (minus 20°C).

One thing to watch out for with the wild food, is that it contains no green, pink or orange lumps. This is dry dog biscuit, and while it's full of proteins it swells in the crop and isn't that great for the wild birds or chickens.

the mixture of oats and corn you give you chickens as a treat sounds exactly like the duck and goose feed I now give mine as a treat because of the issue with the chickens feasting on my ducks' food and not eating their own layers pellets. . .the ducks now have to eat the layers pellets and then only get their own food as a treat when the chickens have finished snacking on it in the evening haha
Nico0laGouldsmith
Chick
Chick

Postby tabsjelu » 01 Jul 2011, 11:04

Captain Carrot wrote:

quote]

I guess it would be quite costly for them, I have been testing the peanut theory on one of my hens recently and definate difference but not huge, not ostrich size like I(not her) was hoping for. Iv loosely tested it though
tabsjelu

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Nico0laGouldsmith » 01 Jul 2011, 15:36

tabsjelu wrote:
Captain Carrot wrote:

quote]

I guess it would be quite costly for them, I have been testing the peanut theory on one of my hens recently and definate difference but not huge, not ostrich size like I(not her) was hoping for. Iv loosely tested it though

hahaha were you hoping for an enormous chicken? :D :D: D I think it's just the idea that they would become really fat. . .because of the fat content in peanuts . . . like you said it would be extremely costly to feed chickens in factories peanuts
Nico0laGouldsmith
Chick
Chick

Postby drfish » 01 Jul 2011, 16:34

Not when you have someone who works at a confectionery factory and often "borrows" excess stock ;)
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 611 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Feeding and Housing