• Advertisement

Would an air rifle kill a fox?

An area for discussion of problems with pests and predators. WARNING: People are discussing problems with predators, that includes things such as fox and bird of prey attack. Such posts may not be nice viewing, but are acceptable.

Moderator: Moderators

Would an air rifle kill a fox?

Postby Clover » 04 Jul 2010, 09:10

My neighbours have told me a fox is hanging about in the field behind my garden, yesterday it spent quite a long time (maybe an hour) just milling about, but, it was very close to my back fence. I have a see through fence so it wouldn't be difficult for mr fox to see my chickens free ranging round the garden. Now I've been lucky so far, very lucky BUT I now have to take action. I live rural so I guess there'll be lots of foxes about.

My chickens are not coming out of the enclosed run until I've either got rid of the fox or put up an electric fence... Even after reading on here for ages I don't know where to start.

I've got a friend (used to be in the army, so not a bad shot with a rifle), but can we shoot it & would an air rifle work? I mean without just injuring the fox to die a slow and painful death?

My back fence where the electric fence would need to be has a public footpath running along the length of it, the local kids do use the footpath to climb the trees & collect conkers in the autumn...

Any advice welcome before I buy electric fencing, and, where's the best place to get it from? (I know absolutely nothing about it apart from what I've read on here & it's taking hours to sift through all the old posts)
Clover
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 5 posts

Re: Would an air rifle kill a fox?

Postby petejw76 » 04 Jul 2010, 10:34

dont use an air rifle to try and shoot a fox. You would have to be pretty lucky to stand any chance of killing it. As much as i hate foxes i dont like to see them suffer. Go to your local farmer and ask if anyone controls the local fox population. It is likely that someone with a firearm certificate and the right gun for the job will be happy to solve your problem.
petejw76
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby zng109 » 04 Jul 2010, 12:57

hey people notice the word "foot path" it is an offence to discharge a weapon air or otherwise within a certain distance of a public byway.
go for the eletric fence :thumbright:
zng109

Liked in: 1 post

Postby milkmaid » 04 Jul 2010, 13:35

electric fence but you must put up warning signs
suz
rose comb white dorking nut
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby CP » 04 Jul 2010, 13:48

Air rifle will not kill a fox. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby zng109 » 05 Jul 2010, 08:38

and foxes cant read, so whats the point in the signs?
zng109

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 05 Jul 2010, 09:02

You have to put signs up to warn the public. When we had the rams in the bottom paddock we had to put an electric fence up to stop them charging at the water board men, they have a small water testing place at the bottom of our paddocks so have right of access. We put 3 signs up but the stupid man still had to "test" it :shock: .
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby foxy » 05 Jul 2010, 09:12

We use electrified netting. We have a lot of foxes round here and have never lost a chook to a fox, so highly recommend them. We use the green 1.22m high fencing, it is sturdy and easier to put up or move compared to the cheaper stuff.
foxy
Chick
Chick

Postby SolwayFeeders » 05 Jul 2010, 14:25

Definately not and the RSPCA would definately look to prosecute if they found out you had attempted too. An air rifle has less than 12ft/lb of muzzle energy, a .22 Rimfire (requiring a firearms licence) has 10 times the muzzle energy and still requires a head/heart shot. A licensed fox rifle in a calibre such as a 22.250 or .223 delivers over 1500ft/lb guaranteeing a humane kill.
Remember that after shooting a fox another will probably move in. Far better to protect with electric netting etc
SolwayFeeders

Postby zng109 » 05 Jul 2010, 16:17

they do a nice .177 centre fire, very good for rabbits and foxes, but yes a head shot or heart, lungs is essential.
but yes, and I think I have said this before, you take this one out and another will take its place :(
beter a devil you know than a demon you dont :thumbright:
zng109

Postby Greggorio » 05 Jul 2010, 17:10

is it a legal requirement to put up warning signs? it isnt in france haha seeing as theyre not going to kill you it just seems daft. It's like needing a sign for barbed wire
Greggorio

Postby Clover » 05 Jul 2010, 19:49

SolwayFeeders wrote:Definately not and the RSPCA would definately look to prosecute if they found out you had attempted too. An air rifle has less than 12ft/lb of muzzle energy, a .22 Rimfire (requiring a firearms licence) has 10 times the muzzle energy and still requires a head/heart shot. A licensed fox rifle in a calibre such as a 22.250 or .223 delivers over 1500ft/lb guaranteeing a humane kill.
Remember that after shooting a fox another will probably move in. Far better to protect with electric netting etc

In my original post I did express a wish not to cause unnecessary suffering, I would be mortified if I thought I'd caused unnecessary suffering, hence why I take my chickens to the vets to be humanely put to sleep.

I know absolutely nothing about air rifles or guns at all & you have definitely educated me.

I will definitely look into getting an electric fence, there is a little used public footpath that runs along the rear of my garden, I'm going to have to erect the fence within my garden boundry, thats going to be tricky I think. My garden is very short & I need to work out how far in I should place the electric fence. If the fox jumps over the fence then he'll meet another fence of the more shocking kind!!
Clover
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Clover » 05 Jul 2010, 19:53

Greggorio wrote:is it a legal requirement to put up warning signs? it isnt in france haha seeing as theyre not going to kill you it just seems daft. It's like needing a sign for barbed wire

Yeah, but it's health & safety mad over here. You've to put signs up for absolutely everything because Joe Public lacks basic common sense.... like, 'WARNING BARBED WIRE' Hoodie boy is too stupid to realise he may rip his hand open, mind you, can hoodie boy actually read?? #-o

If you fall over you HAVE to blame someone else.... It's the law........

Where there's blame there's a claim!!!!!!
Clover
Pullet
Pullet

Postby zng109 » 05 Jul 2010, 21:57

to be precise, you have a duty of care even to trespasers (cant spell that vodka time again)
you can not willfully lay traps :(

personaly I say bugger that, and revil in some of the things I have done to "misguided people" and feel i have put them on the straight and narrow.
weather that be by putting cat sh*t on the door handels of ilegaly parked cars or swapping the vinegar in gurkins for pi** with a builder who enjoyed rocking the neighbor hood ;)
zng109

Postby Greggorio » 06 Jul 2010, 08:56

wicked i'kll get signs made up saying "By trespassing you waive your rights to prosecute the landowners for any harm that befalls you whilst trespassing"
Greggorio

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Pests and Predators