• Advertisement
Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Do chickens get Fleas???

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Do chickens get Fleas???

Postby Moodymare » 12 Dec 2010, 20:00

As in the fleas that your dog can get. Also does one need to physically check them for mites etc or is it something you will notice if it occurs??? :oops:
Supplier to Mrs Fox and her family - 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 Bluebells and 1 Schafer
Moodymare
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: Do chickens get Fleas???

Postby tweedy » 12 Dec 2010, 20:44

You will not see mites on the birds as they get on them at night so you'll need to check the coop at night with a torch.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby kated » 13 Dec 2010, 16:35

As to your question yes, chickens can and do get fleas although they're not as common as redmite and lice. Chicken fleas can't jump as high as other types of fleas so if you persistantly get bites on your ankles and lower legs after visiting your chickens, suspect chicken fleas.

Mites like to hide in crevices and cracks in woodwork and leave behind a telltale pepper like staining (their droppings) you can also check by wiping a damp kitchen towel along the perches. If you can see dark red marks or blood then you have a mite problem.

Lice live on the bird and are more visible but run very quickly. They typically lay a cluster of eggs on the feathers closest to the chickens' vents. The egg cluster looks at first sight like a bit of white poo stuck to the feathers but it's much harder to remove than poo. The picture shows lice eggs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby Moodymare » 13 Dec 2010, 19:43

Oh yikes - I sort of wish I'd never asked! :shock:
Supplier to Mrs Fox and her family - 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 Bluebells and 1 Schafer
Moodymare
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby LucyJK » 13 Dec 2010, 21:14

kated wrote:As to your question yes, chickens can and do get fleas although they're not as common as redmite and lice. Chicken fleas can't jump as high as other types of fleas so if you persistantly get bites on your ankles and lower legs after visiting your chickens, suspect chicken fleas.

Mites like to hide in crevices and cracks in woodwork and leave behind a telltale pepper like staining (their droppings) you can also check by wiping a damp kitchen towel along the perches. If you can see dark red marks or blood then you have a mite problem.

Lice live on the bird and are more visible but run very quickly. They typically lay a cluster of eggs on the feathers closest to the chickens' vents. The egg cluster looks at first sight like a bit of white poo stuck to the feathers but it's much harder to remove than poo. The picture shows lice eggs.

this is exactly what my girls have !!!!! Ive put on red mite powder, will this work or should I use something else ?
LucyJK
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Magpie » 14 Dec 2010, 00:09

You would be better off with a permethrin based spray or powder. Johnson's Antimite extra is easily available and does the job. If the egg clusters are that big I would carefully pluck or cut the feathers with them on before spraying.
Magpie

Liked in: 1 post

Postby ZacB » 15 Dec 2010, 11:43

kated, excellent photo ( in a sort of gross way :puke: ) & advice

Thanks
ZacB
Chick
Chick

Postby andoy » 15 Dec 2010, 13:44

I've not come across chicken fleas in this country, but it is quite common in tropics. Perhaps the cold is not so favourable to it and it's easier to control.
andoy

Liked in: 1 post

Postby kated » 15 Dec 2010, 15:31

andoy wrote:I've not come across chicken fleas in this country, but it is quite common in tropics. Perhaps the cold is not so favourable to it and it's easier to control.

My parents used to live in Devon (I'm talking around 25 years ago) and Mum kept her chickens in the barn basement - the main floor of the barn was raised and below it where the beasts used to go was where she put her hens. They got fleas. Eventually, she gave up chicken keeping because she could not rid the place of fleas. Even 12 months after the hens had gone, if you walked in there, you'd get bitten on the ankles.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby monicalock » 19 Dec 2010, 12:33

kated - good picture, even if i am scratching now.

although it sounds gross, some people on here use their fingernails to pull off the eggs - apparently they stick on hard and fast. :puke:
i live with Warren (Ginger), Light Sussex (Dora), Sussex Star (Heinz), Black Rock (Rocky), Leghorn (Abby), RIR Cross (Snowy), Araucanas (Lavender & Violet), 1 Border Collie, 2 cats, 2 children and married to a nuclear astrophysicist who can build chicken coops!
monicalock
Hen
Hen

Postby CP » 19 Dec 2010, 12:42

(puts hand up!) It's lots easier without rubber gloves on! :oops: :-&
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.''
- Albert Schweitzer
CP

Liked in: 107 posts

• Advertisement

Return to Poultry Clinic